So. has it really been a year already? Unbelievable. So let’s see what this year in the “blogosphere” (I still don’t like the word) achieved:
- Creating a place to collect some random thoughts: Check!
- Learn how blogging works and what’s it all about: Check!
- Remain current with events and developments: No check.
- Develop a network of new contacts and friends: Partial check.
There’s Dirk and Kristian (whom I knew before though), Jona who is going to do an internship in my company as a result of the two of us blogging, and from abroad there are Mark and Tom with whom I had (a little bit of) contact besides blogging. To be honest, I have hoped (and assumed) more contact.
- Being able to maintain a regular blogging schedule: No check!
My regular occupations were just too time consuming, and I restrained myself when it comes to business issues.
- Develop a niche topic and become – if not an expert – a premier ressource for it: No Check!
Though there seem to be only a few blogs for Typo3 (and even fewer for Typo3 in combination with WordPress), I posted too rarely. As a matter of fact, the topic which brings most of the Search Engine traffic to this site is LOTRBFME – and this comes from Google Image search…
- Become famous: Partial check 🙂
I got my 15 minutes of fame (Hi, Dirk!) when I was amongst the first to report a major Google outage in May last year. I commented on a thread on Engadget which still brings traffic to my site!
- Becoming unfathomable rich by AdSense revenue: Certainly no check
I made less than 3 US$ so far which does not even pay for the domain costs.
So, where does it go from here? Apart from stopping blogging altogether (which is not actually an option for me), I can leave it either at this status, with infrequent updates and no ambitions, or I can devote more time (and ressources) to it, which is in fact what I am inclined to do:
- Start a more reliable posting schedule
- Make up my mind regarding work related issues
- Sharpen the thematic focus of this blog
- Actively engage in the community to build a network of blog-friends
- Refine appearance and navigation of the site
Can I do it? Yes I can! Let’s see in a year from now!